Wednesday, October 23, 2019

A poem: "my anger-prone husband, most cruel of the deputies."

"You like them Trumpet Pitchers"
he said,
fumbling at his
G-Man necktie.

"That's what they are.
What I like."
she said.

"I'll leave a bait of them
on that there sill"
he said,
"for your lovely eyes
to savor."

"What of my
anger-prone husband,
who happens to be
the most cruel
of all the deputies?"
she said.

"Now,"
he said,
"I'm just a dumb
Tennessee boy
that made it
all the way to
being a regular
Jay Edgar,
probing the murder
of them
civil rights workers
what was from
the north,
with the lot of them
being several
young negroes
and one Jew,
but I take heed
what my Mammie
taught me."

"Soft heart,
hard ass."

"We was well-met,
irrespective,"
she said.
"A rich man
and a Jewess
wriggled-away
from the thoroughfare,
into the undergrowth
of the wood,
where the lonely yelling
of them coyotes
washed over us
like the aquamarine
brines."

No comments:

Post a Comment

"vapid certitude", Boxey and Odetta, and the Jazz Workshop album.

Could it be, Lucillus, that idleness is the mother of invention?  And all our courage is really but the vapid certitude of an empty brain? I...