Monday, August 17, 2020

You stop yourself thinking what they dont like about you, but you don't know, they didn't say, and you stopped anyway.


I wonder, what was the thing, by some sin consciousness, that one would relent in front of a supposed unwitting stranger, something that would give one pause, to condemn himself.  And yet they talk so much of self love, how, you must believe yourself worthy of a great love in order to be the recipient of such.

They say that.

A on and off sense of self-worth, I guess, that pushes a person to do and not to do.  And is the file accurate?  I never thought so.  I had people near and dear tell me what my attitudes were towards this and that, with me wide-eyed, quite surprised, thinking, how wrong that was.  So might a stranger's files need updating?


Note that I side-step the self-worth equation applied to me, even while I put myself in the center of that particular universe, that I might even by chance lay on the table, hopefully before that lady puts her clothes back on.  As a Baptist, you're supposed to have that constant nagging unreleased feeling of guilt, countermanded by the sense of overwhelming gratitude, that if you know the depth of your own error, then you appreciate all the more the freely given gift of mercy.

And the future itself, the dusky path into the shadows, is given away so easily, while the familiar refrain goes up, that there is only one life, that it must be cherished, with every opportunity pushed, every advantage maximized, until long after dreams have become reality.

A modern day Hammurabi.  Nebuchednezzar.  Artaxerxes.



An enumeration to make the most of one's time.

Gather the rosebuds.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"vapid certitude", Boxey and Odetta, and the Jazz Workshop album.

Could it be, Lucillus, that idleness is the mother of invention?  And all our courage is really but the vapid certitude of an empty brain? I...