Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Poem: How I helped Janice apply for food stamps: a poem about the Republic for which "it" stands.


green about the gills,
in such an aspect,
one would think,
the world never had a mirror,
or maybe no one had conscience,
none where aware of the others' sufferings.

My man PJ dropped them on their heads,
willy nilly, or at will,
such as is said.
It paid the bills,
made a little noise.
It put his name in the books, you know?

Another one was telling them they were sinful,
and they knew what was in their hearts:
God knew, as well.
It varies, the compulsions, right?
The impetus to poo directly onto the travertine,
and it passes the Facebook filters,
so it goes into the ether.


Playing them against themselves,
all of them, and OJ at the top of the totem pole,
a woke liberal here, an angry conservative there,
"dog whistle to the right"
Chuck saying the Senate was lost,
not long after he had done the similar losing thing,
even Obama an the dead lady,
reversing course when the shoe is on the other foot.

Let's catch Ted Cruz being opportunistic.
"You're a sniveling coward Donald."
Rage!  Rage!  Cheer on your side?
To Gail: Michigan isn't such an awful place to live.
"I get it." She says.  Standards and Practices ready to email Legal.
She does not, in fact, get it.

I looked, and it seems I may have PTSD,
based on my life being reflected at me by perfect strangers.
"symptoms must persist past one month."
Try eleven years, Cheever.
It was fun, though, at times, like 
playing guitar for Janice.
"Guess the chord progression, honey?"
She didn't know me so well,
or at least not as well as first thought,
so she would stick to talking only of the weather.

"You said you have a husband?
Well, honey, I'm not taking your food stamps application.
Not 'need-to-know'
Keep that commitment stuff under your wig."

These, signs and wonders,
of such an aspect,
that if we understood entirely,
could we sleep at night?
Would the conscience be clean 
and clear as a 55 degree night sky?
I think,
therefore,
I am.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"vapid certitude", Boxey and Odetta, and the Jazz Workshop album.

Could it be, Lucillus, that idleness is the mother of invention?  And all our courage is really but the vapid certitude of an empty brain? I...