Saturday, January 4, 2020

the reprobate idler entertains the lady with a yarn(for my 2020 Shakepeare challenge cohorts)


"Away with you, Fool" says Olivia.

The Fool says, "I take in the procession for all it's worth and thusly do reply, 'away with you, Fool'".  (pointing at Olivia)

"I would hear more of this, Fool", says Olivia.

"Shall I pluck the lute or lyre as I dazzle you?" says the Fool.

"As you would, what you condone as germane to your menagerie."

"Very well, then something of the constables always puts a good hue on your countenance, m'lady.  Such as the when the 'rook' had come across the money bag, and we know, the constabulary works sort of as a 'lost and found' for the general public, so he held the blessed thing, for the sake of posterity and propriety, if not only because the finely-dyed cotton of the bag complimented the color of his eye."


Olivia briefly interrupts: "I like a story of this fashion, Fool."

"May I continue, dearest?" asks the Fool.  "Or shall we sit through a Natalie Portman as Eros advertisement?"

"You give me a dilemma, thou sharp-tongued Fool", says Olivia.  "On one hand, me thinks the Johnny Depp spot reminds of Snoopy's cousin from the desert: the one with the mustache and the hat.  But then I enjoy a good story.  It soothes so better than the voices in my own head."

"Here it comes then, some more of the story, right down Broadway, my dear.  And where was I?  Oh.  The flag of the 'colognies', then." says the Fool.  "It was Cinco de Mayo, and the constable was going to serve a warrant on a person of, shall we say, a questionable status of citizenship.  They say its the New Red Scare among so many, to report on one's own neighbor.  An observance: paranoia, as the Existentialist Jean-Bn Sauter said, creates such beautiful chaos.  Well, our hero met with harsh resistance, something of a ratchet higher than Tina Fey's Allstate commercial, and our hero was already counting the minutes remaining of his life."


"It was the money bag, anyway, the one the constable held for safe-keeping.  The interlopers found the money bag, which belonged to a relative of the chief interloper.  So they were grateful for the constable's integrity, and decided not to take his life.  The young constable tore-up the warrant, with his own gratitude.  All turned to smiles, they gave him a cold Sprite to drink, patted him on his bum, and let him go about his other doings for the local establishment."

"Such a story, Fool" says Olivia.  "One would be hard-pressed to imagine such a thing happening in real life.  I suppose one must be a reprobate idler in order to come up with such fantasies."

"It's part of an old epic that won an Academy Award, actually", says the Fool.

"Oh dear!" says Olivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"vapid certitude", Boxey and Odetta, and the Jazz Workshop album.

Could it be, Lucillus, that idleness is the mother of invention?  And all our courage is really but the vapid certitude of an empty brain? I...