Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Life: will you even care by the time you get there?

 Is there ever really a point?


Solomon went all through "a thing", buying bling, surrounding himself with beauty, baubles, and treasures, and he really did have a thing, like a concerted search for meaning in life.  What he didn't have was a set employment(like me at the moment), and that much can cause one, even if less than happily so, to orient oneself to the daily grind.  But this Solomon, the wisest man in the world then, was however wise, disadvantaged in his intellect because he was probing the pure meaning of the thing, looking at it on the surface and seeing a real lack of purpose.

We today have our employment(everyone else) and their families(all of us) to help us in our focus and motives, or like the daytime tv set, just endlessly worrying about meaningless sex, live-in strangers, and eating hot chips.  Maybe you even get an SMS message from an NAACP volunteer, who is helpfully using donated time to give you much-needed information about voting.

We have people who don't care, but then we have the entirely lost people who care quite a bit, and maybe too much so, that it burns a hole through them.  A person that cares so much, can barely brings himself to lay eyes on his loved ones, and that to keep from being assailed from concern for those familiars he loves so much.

Raisin Detour, Raison D'etre.

If the abyss looked at you, Friedrich, was there some sort of ESP exchange of wisdom between the two of you?

Look at it this way.  The reason, the meaning, the purpose, if you had that an early juncture, could you keep your head wrapped tight around that, or would you turn your back on it?  Would you question that?  Would you lose hope?  A person can ruin things so easily in his own mind, and acting totally against his own wishes, therein.

You approach it.  By the time you're a complete well adjusted person, you're probably too old to change the world, right?  You've worked on "me time", you've done the due diligence putting together your own swerve, and you figured out life.

But it took you your entire lifetime.

Solomon said, just to clue you in, that our purpose in life is to honor God.  Meanwhile, Jesus lenses it a bit differently, and says chiefly we are to love God, and THEN we love everyone else.  And there might be one or two that I love better without a shirt on.  There might be a few I love to have more than 12 feet away from me, at least that much, at any given time.

In fact, we're caught between our own religious code and trying to keep ourselves sane.  Like attempting to love people while avoiding them entirely.  One protecting his own sanity.  But if sanity forces total isolation, is sanity even worth it?  Isn't sanity a bit of a shifting sand?  Case in point, people thought I was bipolar for like 7 years before I had a kind of nervous breakdown.  Then I was mistakenly diagnosed with bipolar, when it was really just me reacting to an injustice that happened again and again right in front of me.  Like taking medicine to cope.  Anything to get through the wee hours?  When I would rather change them, when it seems they are wrong, rather change them that medicate myself into a kind of submission.

When thing I have to say about that tension between the two opinions.  It frustrates, but one maintains hope, one cares, one goes forward and fights that good fight.  One of my bosses would say, "it is what it is."  He was losing one of his best workers to a heroin addiction, and he said, "it is what it is".  And that boss worked a second job as a pastor.  I butt-hurted about bi-vocational pastors earlier.  In it for the Benjamins and all that.  Work one day a week, make an extra check, and so forth.  He let one of his best people go, that supposed "good Christian man".

And myself, one of the worst in the manufacturing workforce, knowing I would get worse treatment, even less consideration.  And for less than minimum wage, at that.  Reminds me of the Walmart lady saying she couldn't hear me.  And I'm thinking, "when did that start?"  That was a waste of a trip, a formality of a job interview, by some obligation to consider all candidates I suppose.

Walmart is quite far from the purpose of life.  Vocational programs can be so far from the meaning of life, but what else are they, but means to an end, and I'm supposed to grab my piece, like I'm some kind of Desert Raider, looking to fill his bottle.

You live a long natural life, you might get close to some sense of purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"vapid certitude", Boxey and Odetta, and the Jazz Workshop album.

Could it be, Lucillus, that idleness is the mother of invention?  And all our courage is really but the vapid certitude of an empty brain? I...